NYC Creative Expression: Framing Workshop
Creative practices, in their many forms, help us realize PAR principles by actively including different voices, modes of expression, and styles of participation to generate and build knowledge together. On September 15th, PARCEO and el Museo del Barrio hosted the “Creative Expression: Framing” workshop to explore the power of framing and storytelling.
In this session we:
- Practiced different forms of storytelling
- Explored different art activities and visual narrative techniques
- Saw how documentation, storytelling and image analysis connect to organizing and research
- Looked at framing and composition in the photographs from the ¡Presente! The Young Lords in New York exhibit at el Museo del Barrio
- Examined our relationships to our communities
- Practiced how to interpret, create and analyze images
- Recognized how framing impacts one’s understanding of a subject
Thanks to everyone that joined–there were 21 of us from over 10 different organizations. We will integrate the ideas that came out of the session and share the curriculum soon so that everyone can use the exercises and facilitate this training with their own groups.